That moment you take a pregnancy test and see those famous words, “pregnant” or the symbol “+” can be the most exciting yet nerve-racking moment of your whole life. If it is an unexpected pregnancy than it can even be more overwhelming with so many emotions going through your head you don’t even know where to begin. It is very possible that you are the first one to get pregnant out of all of your friends and you might feel like you no longer can connect to your friends in the same way. Luckily for you there are so many amazing support groups online as well as in your local area that will get you through your pregnancy. There are plenty of other parents-to-be that are due in the same month as you – and going through the same things at the same time that you can turn to when you need advice or someone to talk to.
Online Support Groups
It is important to speak with someone about what you are going through along your whole pregnancy. Whether it is a stranger or friend, it is easier to connect with a person who is going through the same ups and downs as you are. This is why online support groups are so important while you are pregnant. You might never meet these ladies in person but just to know that they are always there whether you have exciting news, questions or concerns is a good thing to have. These are the top 3 online support groups that we feel would most benefit you.
- www.babycenter.com- Join your Birth Club and meet others who are due the same month as you, or whose babies are the same age as yours. Share tips and advice, as your babies grow up together .http://community.babycenter.com/birthclubs
- www.thebump.com- Connect with other moms and moms-to-be and share stories about pregnancy, giving birth, trying to conceive and more. This site also has Birth Clubs by month along with different group forums in case you have a specific question relating to your pregnancy. http://www.thebump.com/community
- www.momtastic.com- This website is like one big community that is dedicated to offering a friendly environment in which to chat about all things family related. Whether you are planning for your first or expecting another baby, you will always find like minded members to talk and make friends with. http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/
Precautions before Joining an Online Mommy Group
Although joining a group can be great because of the connections and relationships you can grow with the different ladies in the group, there are also some PRECAUTIONS that you should take before joining a site. Just remember that if you do not feel comfortable in the group or feel like you are being judged too much, all it takes is a click of a button for you disconnect and continue on with your life!
- They’re a lot better for first-time moms, or with specific struggles
- Choose carefully — you don’t have to stick with the first group you try. Read through some posts, post an intro, and get a feel for the group. If you don’t feel like you “mesh” well, leave. It’s also a good idea to seek out a site that hosts group’s specific to your situation.
- Don’t get too involved —you don’t have to share everything. And you don’t need to get sucked into any drama.
- Expect drama- This being the internet, people feel freer to say things they otherwise wouldn’t. It’s also hard to tell what people really mean through a computer screen. This means there will be drama. And since parenting can be rocky anyway, everyone is extremely hormonal!
- Know when to leave — If the group is bringing you down more than it’s supporting you, if it’s causing you additional stress, or if it’s taking too much time, just leave.
Finding Local Support Groups in Your Area
There are a bunch of great resources online to help you find local support groups in your area. You will find it easier to find “mommy friends” once you have the baby because you will be taking them to different classes. It is much harder to find people to talk to that are in the same boat as you are in the surrounding area, that is why the below websites are great tools to assist you along the way. Remember you do not need to go through this pregnancy alone!