You may already feel like a furnace since pregnancy makes your body temp rise higher than usually and now the summer is here making things even worse. When you are already uncomfortable due to pregnancy, the summer heat can seem unbearable.
Here are some tips to surviving the summer while pregnant:
- Carry a bottle of ice water with you everywhere you go to stay hydrated.
- Jump in a cool shower for some relief.
- Try freezing your favorite snack – frozen grapes are delicious!
- Put your bra in the freezer too.
- Don’t have air conditioning? Go find your favorite spots that do, libraries, coffee shops, malls etc. and frequent them regularly.
- Run your wrists under cold water for a quick cool down.
- Use a cool washcloth on the back of your neck.
- Putting your feet in a bucket of cold water will help your whole body feel cooler
- Wear breathable fabric. Light colors help to reflect the heat.
- Swimming is great exercise and can keep you cool as well as taking pressure off your swollen legs and feet.
Most importantly, listen to your body and if you begin to feel dizzy, lightheaded or weak, sit down immediately and get some water. Remember, your body is hard at work during pregnancy and so things that you could always do so easily will become more strenuous. Taking time for yourself and staying comfortable can help you survive the summer.